Wednesday 8 October 2008

Rain or Shine

So I've been on a bit of a journey - to try out the little inspirational things that would help lift my spirits and give me hope.

The discipline of holding on to a decent diet has proven to be - tough, if not challenging. My hats off to all the full time vegans out there! I tried it for a week, hand on my heart, it was hard - especially when you get hungry so often from not having too many food choices.

But all in all, the past month has been good to me. That is of course until I decided to accept an invite for a meal out. All hell broke loose for me - in many ways. First of all, because of my limited diet regime, as soon as I knew I was going, I had (in my head) started to plan out my meal for that day and all the things I was going to eat. (Yeah - I know, what a loser!) Naturally that day finally came, I had a full three course meal with the seafood and the chicken - and what do you get in return? An over blooted, over stretched system that gave up on me only 5 hours after the meal - everything came back out. And I had the worst 3 days of food poisoning of my life.

Lesson learnt, you say?

Hmmmm..... I don't know. I have always enjoyed my food. I have always been a big eater. It was either binge eat that night, or go home and cry over my fate and my health. So I'd rather binge - because at least I had a social life, and a chance to be 'normal', like all the other people around the table that night.

Fully recovered now. And I think about this journey with food and how my unconscious mind makes a choice whenever I go to the canteen or to the grocery store, to pick out all the food that will give me hope. So why does this ability seem to fail when a social call is in question?

This journey is long. So whilst I keep searching for inspirations to keep me going rain or shine - my social need appear 'normal' will need to reconsidered.

No comments: